Student Group Rentals

Vehicle rental for student groups

IU allows registered student organizations to rent vehicles from the Fleet Services Motor Pool to transport students for approved activities.

There are a few procedures and policies that groups need to follow in order to rent our vehicles.

How do student organizations rent a vehicle?

The process for renting a vehicle differs depending on whether your student group’s travel has already been approved by IU.

Renting a vehicle for university-approved travel

If you are a student group whose travel has already been approved by IU, then you can follow the normal process for renting a vehicle.

Renting a vehicle if your travel has not been approved by IU

To rent a vehicle when your travel is not yet approved, follow these steps:

  1. Complete a Student Organization Transportation Request. The approval process involves multiple departments and can take a couple of days to complete. Please ask your advisor to watch for the document approval request to avoid delays.
  2. All drivers must complete a Motor Vehicle Records Check before driving the vehicle.
  3. We will contact your travel arranger when the approval process is complete to discuss next steps.


If you have questions about student group vehicle rental, contact the Fleet Services Motor Pool reservation desk at or 812-855-3300.